Thursday, October 11, 2007

QUESTION TWO - Randy & The Soul Survivors



Hi. My name is Brian Toscano.

I am trying to find out more about an R&B singer named Randy Madison. In the 1960's, Randy worked in Boston and led a band in 1965/1966 called Randy And The Soul Survivors.

The band was made up of local Boston musicians who were going to Berklee College Of Music at the time. The band included saxophonist Jack Schroer (1944-1995) and bassist John Klingberg (also deceased), who are both best known for playing in Van Morrison's band in the late 1960's/early 1970's.

At the time of the Soul Survivors, John Klingberg was playing trumpet. Besides him and Jack, the band also included Steve Hall (guitar), Al Leto (bass), and Tom Hall (drums)

Tom Hall left The Soul Survivors shortly after the band formed and moved to Florida. Drummer Jim 'Bat' Kaddy, a friend of Jack Schroer and John Klingberg, was his replacement.

Randy And The Soul Survivors played James Brown and Otis Redding covers. They played at such venues as Izzy Ort's Golden Nugget Bar, which was located in a part of Boston known as 'The Combat Zone.'

Guitarist Steve Hall remembers Randy as being a great leader. When speaking to me about Randy, Steve said...

'Randy Madison was extremely organized, knew what he wanted to accomplish and knew how to get others to pull towards the same goal. He would lead the rehearsals and sing everybody's part to them. He was a very good intuitive musician. I learned a lot from him.'

Randy And The Soul Survivors never recorded, but Steve Hall said that Randy was working with a musician/producer named Teddy on a project that was completely separate from The Soul Survivors.

Teddy had an office near the Boston Commons and sang with a large group that had 4 vocalists, hammond organ, guitar, drums, etc. This group played regularly at Hurley's in Revere Beach.

Steve Hall says Randy didn't say much about the project with Teddy, but recordings might have been made, or there might have been rehearsals for recordings. I don't know if anything ever came of Randy and Teddy's partnership.

No one seems to know whatever happened to Randy Madison. If anyone reading this knew, or knows anything about, Randy Madison, please leave a message at Soul Detective. I want to find out anything I can about Randy, and any help you can offer would be very appreciated.

-detectives?

<< souldetective.com

4 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Concerning Randy & the Soul Survivors, I believe the Teddy that Randy was working with is(was?) Teddy from the Boston group G Cleffs
who had the hit KaDingDong.
I remember Randy and the group and believe i sold them the outfits they are wearing in the photo. From 63-67 I worked at Jerold's Men's Shop on Washington st and my specialty was outfitting rock bands (actually 90% R&B bands)

April 2, 2009 at 11:34 PM  
Anonymous Dan Gioioso said...

My name is Danny Gioioso,I've been playing guitar with the clefs for some 30 yrs. A fond flashback hearing the name Jerolds. I spent mucho dollars on threads there, when I was in a band called
'The Strangers" Jerolds had the coolest clothes along with Crystals for kicks. I remember Vinny who worked there. Great memories starting in '64".

February 11, 2010 at 5:58 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My name is Roger Baker. I came to Boston in 1965 to go to Berklee where I graduated in 1969. I formed a band called the Pink Panthers with Jack and John and Bat right after the Soul Survivors. Our agent, Bob Penza, sent us over to Jerold's to get outfits and, from the looks of things, to the same photographer. We played often at Izzy Ort's, sometimes backing up Little Joe Cook of "peanuts" fame. I am still in the music biz in Albuquerque and Bat is still living and playing in NH.

April 18, 2014 at 4:58 AM  
Blogger StephanieDM said...

My father, John Dougherty, played guitar in a group with Randy called The Sounds of the Seasons in the early 60's. My father has since passed away, and I've been attempting to find his old band mates just to hear about those days in Boston! Brian, did anything ever come of your search? Granted , this post is from a long time ago!

July 11, 2014 at 5:59 PM  

Post a Comment

<< souldetective.com